Far-Reaching (Music Websites)



Love Orba Squara's most fitting album title "The Trouble with Flying". Love it because I don't like flying, but I love traveling. How many things can go wrong when flying? I can think of plenty (hijacking and volcano eruptions being two). What are the odds? Call me an optimist--anything can happen, but in the meantime I'm noting where the nearest emergency exit is.

And so, this title touches chords that leave me at once believing there are others like me who prefer to take it slow. Orba Squara in fact points out the average, grotesque, shoddy and beautiful things we miss along the way when flying. They along with Random Collective designer José Ricardo Cabral Cabaco created a lateral scrolling website that takes you on their American tour (10 days in 10 different cities) to capture those fleeting moments through archiving, journaling, photographing and sketching. It's lengthy (as a short film), but in my opinion something we should all do at least once in our lifetime--if you can't get a campervan, this is runner-up.
A highlight, day 4 if I remember right, was Austin, Texas--(love this place like a Palermitano loves Palermo). Funny because, the band had never been before, but like many of us has heard of it as the coolest, smartest, funkiest, hands down where you want to be if you're not somewhere else. Their impressions were so poignant, and reminded me of how easy it is to be in love when there's space in between. Their music rolls in synch as they truck on to the next burg (Las Cruces New Mexico, Flagstaff Arizona, Las Vegas Nevada, Eureka California... final destination somewhere in Oregon) capturing parts of America, that are at once romantic and forgotten.


Far-reaching music website design: orbasquara.com

No comments: